Research by Global Market Studies has reported a CAGR of 8.6% for the Shortwave Infrared Market, expecting to expand to a value of USD 277 million by 2028.
The Shortwave Infrared (SWIR) market refers to the industry that deals with the development, manufacturing, and distribution of imaging and sensing technologies that operate within the shortwave infrared spectrum, typically ranging from 0.9 micrometers (900 nanometers) to 2.5 micrometers (2500 nanometers) in wavelength. SWIR technology enables the detection and visualization of light in this wavelength range, offering distinct advantages over visible and near-infrared (NIR) technologies for various applications due to its ability to penetrate fog, smoke, and certain materials that can be opaque in other wavelengths.
SWIR imaging is widely used in night vision, industrial inspection, medical imaging, agriculture, food sorting, remote sensing, art authentication, semiconductor inspection, chemical analysis, oil and gas exploration, and automotive safety. It captures images in low-light conditions, enables covert operations, and helps detect defects in materials and products. SWIR sensors enhance driver assistance systems and improve visibility in challenging conditions.
SWIR technology offers advantages over visible and near-infrared imaging, such as penetration through materials, enhanced visibility, and the ability to reveal hidden details. It is increasingly used in security, industrial automation, medical advancements, environmental monitoring, and technological innovations. SWIR cameras are used in military, law enforcement, critical infrastructure monitoring, manufacturing, agriculture, and quality control for accurate inspection, sorting, and monitoring.
The ability to visualize sub-surface tissues and structures drives its adoption in medical imaging, diagnostics, and research applications. Technological innovations in SWIR sensor design, image processing, and miniaturization are expanding its use in new applications and making it more accessible.
SWIR cameras capture images and video within the SWIR spectrum in various formats, including standalone units and integrated systems. SWIR sensors convert incoming light into electrical signals, simplifying integration into various devices and systems. SWIR modules are compact units that include sensors, optics, and electronics, simplifying the integration of SWIR technology into other devices and applications.
SWIR imaging systems include cameras, sensors, lenses, and software for specific applications like surveillance, inspection, and scientific research. SWIR spectrometers analyze the spectral composition of light, enabling chemical analysis, material identification, and research in various fields. Customized lenses and optics optimize light collection, transmission, and imaging quality within the SWIR spectrum. Advanced software enhances image interpretation, enabling real-time analysis, image enhancement, and feature extraction.
OEMs can integrate compact SWIR modules into their products, such as industrial machinery, medical equipment, and security systems. Consulting and services are offered to assist clients in adopting SWIR technology for their specific needs. R&D and innovation continue to expand the capabilities of SWIR technology, leading to new applications and improved performance.
SWIR technology faces several challenges, including cost, competition from other technologies, limited awareness and education, regulatory challenges, and integration complexity. Cost is a significant barrier to its adoption, especially in price-sensitive industries. Alternative technologies like thermal imaging and multispectral imaging may offer complementary capabilities, further limiting its adoption.
Limited awareness and education about SWIR’s benefits can slow adoption. Regulatory hurdles, particularly in medical and security applications, can impact market growth. Finally, integration complexity can require specialized expertise and resources.
North America:The United States and Canada have a significant presence in the SWIR market, driven by their strong technological innovation, defense and security sectors, medical advancements, and industrial applications.
Europe: Countries like Germany, France, and the United Kingdom are prominent players in the SWIR market, contributing to various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and scientific research.
Asia-Pacific: This region is witnessing rapid growth due to its burgeoning industrial sectors, increasing R&D activities, and growing adoption of advanced technologies. Countries like China, Japan, and South Korea are key contributors.
• February 2022 – Espoo, Finland-based Emberionannounced that it had raised EUR 6 million to address the needs of the machine vision and surveillance markets for VIS-SWIR (Visible/Short Wave Infrared) cameras with a broad spectrum and wide dynamic range imaging performance. Emberionstrives to bridge the gap in the market for [short-wave infrared] SWIR cameras with no sensors covering such a wide spectral range and the high cost of existing cameras.
• January 2022 – UCID Vision Labs, Inc., a designer, and manufacturer of industrial vision cameras, launched the latest Atlas SWIR IP67-rated 1.3 MP and 0.3 MP cameras. The Atlas SWIR is a GigE PoE+ camera featuring wide-band and high-sensitivity Sony SenSWIR1.3 MP IMX990 and 0.3 MP IMX991 InGaAssensors, capable of capturing images across visible and invisible light spectrums and boasting a miniaturized pixel size of 5μm.
Flir Systems Inc., Hamamatsu Photonics K.K., Sensors Unlimited, Teledyne Princeton Instruments and Xenics
Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is the projected market value of the Shortwave Infrared Market?
– The Shortwave Infrared Market is expected to reach a value of USD 277 million by 2028.
2) What is the estimated CAGR of the Shortwave Infrared Market over the 2023 to 2028 forecast period?
– The Shortwave Infrared Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of approximately 8.6% from 2023 to 2028.
3) Who are the key players in the Shortwave Infrared Market?
– Flir Systems Inc., Hamamatsu Photonics K.K., Sensors Unlimited, Teledyne Princeton Instruments and Xenics.
4) What are the drivers for the Shortwave Infrared Market?
– SWIR technology offers advantages over visible and near-infrared imaging, enabling enhanced visibility and revealing hidden details in various applications, including security, industrial automation, and medical imaging.
5) What are the restraints and challenges in the Shortwave Infrared Market?
– SWIR faces challenges like cost, competition, limited awareness, regulatory hurdles, and integration complexity. Cost, alternative technologies, limited awareness, regulatory hurdles, and integration complexity hinder its adoption in price-sensitive industries.
6) What are the key applications and offerings of the Shortwave Infrared Market?
– SWIR imaging is utilized in various fields, including night vision, industrial inspection, medical imaging, agriculture, food sorting, remote sensing, and automotive safety, enabling covert operations and defect detection.
7) Which region is expected to drive the market for the forecast period?
– Asia Pacific has the highest value share in the global market and is expected to dominate shares in forecast period.
Why Choose Us?
Insights into Market Trends: Global Market Studies reports provide valuable insights into market trends, including market size, segmentation, growth drivers, and market dynamics. This information helps clients make strategic decisions, such as product development, market positioning, and marketing strategies.
Competitor Analysis: Our reports provide detailed information about competitors, including their market share, product offerings, pricing, and competitive strategies. This data can be used to inform competitive strategies and to identify opportunities for growth and expansion.
Industry Forecasts: Our reports provide industry forecasts, which will inform your business strategies, such as investment decisions, production planning, and workforce planning. These forecasts can help you to prepare for future trends and to take advantage of growth opportunities.
Access to Industry Experts: Our solutions include contributions from industry experts, including analysts, consultants, and subject matter experts. This access to expert insights can be valuable for you to understand the market.
Time and Cost Savings: Our team at Global Market Studies can save you time and reduce the cost of conducting market research by providing comprehensive and up-to-date information in a single report, avoiding the need for additional market research efforts.